Deodorant. We use it all the time but have you ever looked into what you're actually putting on?!
Well, it's time to ditch your deodorant. Okay, okay before you freak out...I don't actually mean you have to ditch it BUT let's talk about why you should think about making a switch to a natural deodorant.
Did you just cringe?
I did a poll on my Instagram (v scientific) and while 86% of people had tried natural deodorant, only 25% had a good experience with it. When asked why people hadn't tried a natural option, 100% of people said they were scared it wouldn't work.
I am here to say that I am one of those people who had tried a natural option only to find that it actually made me sweat more than normal and it made me stinkier. Right now I am working on a solution to that problem that I can't wait to share with you! Because it's WORKING.
For now, I will tell you why I am so dedicated to making the switch...
Traditional deodorants are filled with toxins. Heather Patisaul, Ph.D., states that "when you eat something, it's broken down by your liver and digestive system but when you put something on your skin, there are times when it can enter your blood stream without being metabolized."
Furthermore, some compounds found in deodorant can be stored in fat cells in the underarm area.
AND if that wasn't enough, your armpits have a ton of hormones receptors which could be reacting to some of those deodorant toxins ultimately causing reproductive issues and cancer.
Here are some ingredients to avoid:
- Aluminum: clogs pores, prevents sweating (so not natural), linked to estrogen interference.
- Parabens: disrupts hormone balance and has been linked to breast and prostate cancer.
- Triclosan: classified as a pesticide by FDA, when combined with water it produces chloroform.
- Propylene Glycol: can cause damage to central nervous system, heart and liver, can irritate skin.
- TEA and DEA: can affect your liver and kidneys, known carcinogens, banned in Europe.
The good news? There are other options out there and I promise there will be one that works for you.